The Pitaya is a fruit that is obtained from the cactus. To be more specific, from the Cactaceae family from the genus Stenocereus. Its origin is attributed to different regions of Mexico, although crops can also be found in the US and other countries of the American continent.
There is a wide variety of fruits, the best known being the sweet Pitaya. It stands out for its red colour in the peel and the pulp.
Properties of Pitaya
In addition to being a basis of food, it also contributes to good health. Again, it is due to the multiple properties it has.
- Antioxidants: Thanks to the great content of vitamin C in this fruit.
- Energizers: Due to the different vitamins of group B that it possesses.
- Coagulants: Thanks to the calcium present in its composition, it manages to increase the level of platelets.
- Synthesizers: The Pitaya’s phosphorus content helps synthesize food to better use its nutrients.
In addition, the high fiber content is another reason Pitaya is highly valued since it helps cleanse the body of harmful elements such as toxins.
Benefits of Pitaya
The World Health Organization recommends the consumption of Pitaya due to its many benefits to the functioning of the human body.
It is an Excellent Source of Food
The many nutrients it affords to the body make it an excellent option in the report Production of Pitaya as an alternative for local development in Acaquizapan, Oaxaca; the many nutrients that pitaya offers are highlighted as one of the many sources of commerce.
In addition, it can be consume by eating the fruit directly or using it to prepare drinks.
Also Read: What is Heart Disease? – Symptoms, Types, and More
Helps Improve Diabetes
Although the consumption of Pitaya is not recommend when some anti-diabetes medications are use, thanks to studies carried out by different researchers, such as those of the Department of Biology of the Autonomous Metropolitan University of Mexico, it has been discover that it helps reduce the symptoms of diabetes. The disease since it considerably reduces the circulation of sugar in the blood. Experts recognize that Pitaya fiber is one of those responsible for this positive effect.
Strengthens The Immune System
One of the qualities of Pitaya is its antioxidant capacity. Therefore, it manages to eliminate the harmful effect of free radicals. In addition, the high content of vitamin C influences the immune system, ensuring that all body organs are in good condition and function in the best way, thus increasing the body’s ability to defend itself.
In addition, vitamin C is favourable for flawless skin and bone structure conditions, among other benefits.
The fiber we find in the Pitaya helps eliminate constipation, as long as it is an occasional problem since it naturally stimulates expulsion from feces. In addition, it increases feces production, allowing it to act as a very effective and safe laxative.
It Is Use To Treat Anemia
Increasing your iron intake is key to preventing or treating the presence of anemia. In addition, Pitaya contains vitamin C, favoring this mineral’s absorption, thus selecting the production of red blood cells.
Risks and Contraindications of Pitaya
In most cases, pitaya consumption is entirely safe. However, depending on each person’s physical condition, sometimes its intake is not recommend. These are the following groups.
- Allergic: If anyone is allergic to any of its components, he should refrain from consuming it.
- People with stomach problems: Due to the effects it causes on the body if you have ulcers, irritable bowel or similar diseases, it is better not to eat this fruit.
- Children: It cannot be eaten by people under five.
- Pregnant: Although not fully proven, it can be risky for the mother or the baby, so it is better not to use it, not even during lactation.
Pitaya has excellent benefits for maintaining good health.
Nutritional Value of Pitaya
The positive characteristics of this fruit are due to a large number of elements it contains. Next, we will see the quantity of each one, taking as a reference a serving of 100 grams of fruit.
- Water: It represents 85% of your content.
- Carbohydrates: Contains 13 grams, which increases body energy.
- Fat: It barely has 0.4 grams.
- Vitamin C.: Its content is 8 milligrams.
- Minerals: The amount of calcium is 10 mg, iron only 1.3 and phosphorus, with a very high concentration, reaching 26 milligrams.
Also Read: What is Skin Cancer? – Types and More